York County Astronomical Society
The York County Astronomical Society will run two programs, one for older family members and one for younger children.
The program for older family members, “A Part Of The Sky Called Orion” and “Distant Worlds: Alien Life,” will take place on Saturday at 7 p.m.
The kids’ program, which includes “One World, One Sky: Big Bird’s Adventure” and “Defying Gravity: It Is Rocket Science,” will be held at 2 p.m. on Saturday, April 30.
Both programs will take place at the York Learning Center, 301 E. Sixth Avenue in North York.
Admission is $4 for adults and $3 for children and seniors.
For more information, visit AstroYork.com.
York USA Dance
Lounge dance party
York USA Dance Chapter 3008 will hold a ballroom dance from 2-5:30 p.m. Sunday at Alert Fire Hall, 3118 N. George St. in Emigsville.
A special free pre-dance lesson beginning the Viennese waltz for those who already know the basic waltz will be taught by Clément Ho from 12:15 p.m. to 1 p.m. Free class participants are asked to stay to help prepare for the afternoon dance.
The dance will include a beginner-intermediate foxtrot lesson from 2-3 p.m., with an open dance to follow from 3-5:30 p.m.
Admission is $10 for members and $14 for guests.
For more information, email [email protected] or call 717-885-6370.
York Art Association
Art exhibition and reception
The York Art Association, 220 S. Marshall St., will open the Spring Members’ Exhibit with a reception, 2-4 p.m. Sunday.
About a hundred regional artists will be exhibited with prizes awarded to the best artists in each category.
The exhibition will also be open to the public until Sunday, May 22. Gallery hours are 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday and 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday.
Concert, art exhibition and other events
York Catholic Middle and High School, 601 E. Springettsbury Ave., will host the following public events:
- A spring concert will be held Sunday at 2 p.m. The concert will feature band, choir and jazz band students. Free entry.
- An art exhibition will be presented from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday to Wednesday.
- An open day will take place on Wednesday from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. by appointment. Perspective students and their families will be able to tour the building and meet students and staff.
- A “Night at the Races” event will take place at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday, May 7. Prizes, raffles and food and drink will be provided. The cost is $40 per person and participants must be 21 years of age or older.
For more information on any of these events, visit yorkcatholic.org/calendar/.
Mental Health Awareness Month
York College will host two free virtual mental health awareness programs on Monday as part of Mental Health Awareness Month.
The first program will be a 9-hour discussion led by Jakki Williams, associate professor at North Carolina A&T, and will focus on a three-step meditation (relax, listen, and intend).
The second program is a 19-hour lecture by health psychologist Kelly McGonigal that will focus on “The Upside of Stress.”
To register for programs, visit https://bit.ly/3Osl67H.
Agency on Aging
Healthy steps, a matter of balance
The York County Agency on Aging will run these healthy steps and balance classes:
- A Healthy Steps in Motion class will be held from 1-2 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, May 2-25, at the Spring Grove and Hanover Visiting Nurses Association, 440 Madison St. in Hanover. The deadline to register is Monday.
- A Healthy Steps for Older Adults class will be held from 10 a.m. to noon on Tuesday, June 28 and July 5 at Hayshire United Church of Christ, 100 Haybrook Drive. The deadline to register is Monday, June 20.
- A Question of Balance course will take place from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays, from July 13 to August 13. 8, at Spry Church, 50 School Street in York Township. The deadline to register is Wednesday, July 6.
To register or for more information on any of these courses, call Faye at 717-852-4902, ext. 1044.